Invitation and Overview
All IS junior faculty are invited to participate in the MIS Camp which will take place on Tuesday, December 15, 2009, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The event will be held at the conference hotel, the J.W. Marriott Desert Ridge Resort in Phoenix.
The MIS Camp consists of panel, discussion, role-playing, and other interactive sessions built around issues related to becoming a successful member of the professoriate. Each activity will be facilitated by a select group of highly-successful IS faculty from universities around the world. This will allow each camper to interact with a wide variety of both new and senior faculty and to share their experiences, thoughts, and concerns about developing a career in the academy.
Topics that might be covered include: research strategies; publishing issues; building a network of colleagues; teaching strategies and issues; tenure pitfalls and experiences; time management; collegiality and academic norms; and work-life balance. The consortium is intended to not only provide some answers, but to provoke you to think about your own personal issues and challenges to become successful in academia.
Eligible campers include all AIS members beginning their first four years in an academic position. The number of participants is limited in order to maintain the richness and intimacy of the experience.
Deadline for Application
You must submit your application for participation by OCTOBER 1, 2009 via email to Ilze Zigurs (Jr. Faculty Consortium Co-Chair) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your email must include the following information:
1. First and Last Name
2. Affiliation (university, college, department, country where located)
3. Rank and number of years in rank
4. Email address
5. Brief statement (a paragraph or two) about how you would benefit from the consortium and why it is important for you to participate at this time
6. If you have previously attended the ICIS Junior Faculty Consortium, please indicate what year(s) you attended
Applications will be evaluated with the goal of having a diverse group of people who can benefit the most from the experience. We will strive for diversity across the globe and in years of experience.
Schedule and Counselors
A schedule of activities will be posted at a later date. We will start promptly at 8:30 a.m., so participants should plan on arriving the day before and be ready to participate in the full day of activities.
We are delighted to announce the following faculty counselors for the consortium:
- Vivek Choudhury, University of Cincinnati
- Robert Galliers, Bentley University
- Milena Head, McMaster University
- Deepak Khazanchi, University of Nebraska at Omaha
- Matti Rossi, Helsinki School of Economics
- Carol Saunders, University of Central Florida
- Christina Soh, Nanyang University of Technology
- Eileen Trauth, Pennsylvania State University
A small fee of $50 is charged for participation in the Junior Faculty Consortium, to cover facility and refreshment costs. The fee is paid at the time of registration for ICIS. If you are attending the Consortium, you are required to register for the ICIS conference.
Please email Ilze Zigurs at email@example.com.
| Junior Faculty Consortium Co-Chairs