ICIS 2009 is past. This information is provided for archival purposes only.
Student volunteers are an integral part of running a successful conference. They are the “back bone” of the event and find the donation of their time and energy a meaningful experience for themselves as well as for the organization.
Student volunteers received free registration to all ICIS 2009 events. All other costs (transportation, lodging and meals etc.) were their own responsibility.
Student volunteer criteria used:
- Volunteers were selected on the basis of their application and a short reference letter from their advisor or department head
- A 3rd or 4th year PhD student in an Information Systems program of an academic institution
- Responsible for their own lodging, transportation and meal costs
- Required to volunteer 10 - 15 hours of time during the conference
Some volunteer duties included:
- Conference bag stuffing: assembling conference bags with all the attendees “goodies” like pens, agenda, conference brochure, etc.
- Registration desk : helping attendees find their name tags, handing out bags, answering attendee’s questions, etc.
- Session room attendants: helping presenters and others with session room technical issues, dimming lights, holding doors open, etc.
- Volunteer administration: assisting the volunteer chairs with communications and organizational issues needed among all volunteers
- You will be asked to arrive at the conference hotel before the evening of December 14th for pre-conference preparation work
How many volunteers were selected?
We needed close to 30 volunteers.
A short reference letter had to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org from your advisor or department head no later than the deadline date. References needed to indicate student volunteer's name and school name in the text of the email.
The email address had to be the same as the person doing the referral. For instance, a secretary working for your advisor could not send the statement. It had to come from the advisor him/herself.
There was no limit in length for the reference and it is basically a “why the committee should select this person to be a volunteer” letter.
Volunteer application and reference letters were due by: August 3, 2009
Volunteer notifications were sent by: September 11, 2009
The application form has been removed for archiving.
Student Volunteer Coordinators
Please contact us if you have any questions.