Director Hsinchun Chen named a UA Regents' Professor. With the world transitioning from analog to digital record-keeping, a pressing issue is how to make sense of the enormous amounts of data at our fingertips for the good of society. Dr. Chen has been researching "big data" for 20 years before the topic "big data" became a popular and highly visible research area. Dr. Chen's accoomplishments and influence on developments in science and technology have led to his being named a UA Regents' Professor, a "title ... reserved for faculty members with exceptional achievements that have brought them national or international distinction. It also serves as recognition of the highest merit and unusual contributions to the quality of the individual's university." See the whole story on the UA News page.
- May 2013
Dr. Hsinchun Chen has been named the Thomas R. Brown Chair in Management and Technology. The chair is awarded to those whose professional accomplishments mirror those of its namesake, MIT and Harvard alumnus Thomas R. Brown, who co-founded Burr-Brown Research Corporation in Tucson in 1956, and headed it until his retirement in 1998.
See the complete press release, posted on the Eller College website on March 25.
- March 2013
The IEEE Intelligence and Security Informatics (ISI) International Conference 2013 will be held in Seattle, Washington (U.S.A.), June 4-7. The conference theme is "Big Data, Emergent Threats and Decision-Making in Security Informatics." Submissions are due Feb. 15, 2013. For a list of potential topics, important dates, and other information, see the conference website at http://isiconference2013.org/pgs/.
- January 2013
The 2013 International Health Informatics Conference (IHIC 2013) will be held in Beijing, China, August 3-4, 2013. The conference will co-locate with the International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence. Suggested topics include mining clinical and medical data; information sharing, integration, and extraction; clinical practice and training; assistive, persuasive and intelligent devices for medical care and monitoring; and global systems and large-scale health data analysis and management. Submissions are due April 15, 2013.
- January 2013
The 2013 European Intelligence and Security Informatics Conference (EISIC 2013) will be held in Uppsala, Sweden, August 12-14, 2013. EISIC is the premier European conference on counter-terrorism and criminology. Suggested topics include information sharing and data/text mining; infrastructure protection and emergency response; terrorism informatics; computational criminology; and information systems security. Submissions are due April 15, 2013.
- January 2013
Congratulations to Dr. Hsinchun Chen on his outstanding publication citation rankings. According to Google Scholar's "h-index," Dr. Chen is now #1 among all MIS faculty in the world (tied with Dr. Andrew B. Whinston at UT-Austin). See more in the MIS Bulletin.
- October 2012
The AI Lab received an NSF award of just under $300K to study the global competitive landscape and knowledge diffusion in the field of nanotechnology (CMMI-1249210).
- September 2012
Dr. Hsinchun Chen was featured in the Arizona Daily Star's summer series "100 Days of Science," which featured a different milestone in Arizona's scientific history each day. This story featured Dr. Chen's work with the Tucson Police Department in developing COPLINK(TM), followed by later work on the Dark Web terrorism research project. See more on our "Recognition" page or search the Arizona Daily Star website.
-- August 2012
|Dark Web: Exploring and Data Mining the Dark Side of the Web (2012) (Volume 30 of the Integrated Series in Information Systems)|
|Infectious Disease Informatics and BioSurveillance (2011) (Volume 27 of the Integrated Series in Information Systems)|
|Sports Data Mining (2011) (Volume 26 of the Integrated Series in Information Systems)|
|Infectious Disease Informatics: Syndromic Surveillance for Public Health and Bio-Defense (2010) (Volume 21 of the Integrated Series in Information Systems)|
|See additional books on our Books page.|
Calls for Papers:
- Security Informatics (a Springer Open Access journal).
- NEW! Special Issue: Text Processing for Crime Analysis and Predictive Policing. Submissions due: July 31, 2013.
- European ISI 2013: Uppsala, Sweden, August 12-14, 2013. Submissions due May 1, 2013 [date extended].
- International Health Informatics Conference (IHIC) 2013: Beijing, China, August 3-4, 2013. Submissions due May 15, 2013 [date extended].
- IEEE Intelligent Systems: Special Issue on Smart and Connected Health. Submissions due September 1, 2013.
- ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems (TMIS):
- Special Issue on Complexity Systems Engineering. Submissions due: April 10, 2013.
- Special Issue on Business Process Intelligence. Submissions due: May 1, 2013.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- IEEE Intelligence and Security Informatics (ISI) 2013: Seattle, Washington, U.S.A., June 4-7, 2013
- International Health Informatics Conference (IHIC) 2013: Beijing, China, August 3-4, 2013.
- Pacific-Asia ISI (PAISI) Workshop 2013: Beijing, China, August 3-4, 2013.
- European ISI 2013: Uppsala, Sweden, August 12-14, 2013.
- AMIA 2012: November 307, 2012, Chicago, IL, USA
- European ISI 2012: August 22-24, 2012, Odense, Denmark.
- IEEE ISI 2012: June 11-14, 2012, Washington DC, USA.