The Digital Library project phase 1 at University of Arizona was one of the original NSF-funded Digital Library Initiative (DLI) projects. The project aimed to develop techniques to enhance information retrieval of large digital collections and to support semantic interoperability across subject domains.
OOHAY: Visualizing the Web (DLI-2)
The Object Oriented Hierarchical Automatic Yellow Page (OOHAY) project is part of the Phase 2 Digital Library Initiative project at the University of Arizona, which is funded by NSF Digital Library Initiative-2. The goal of our digital library project is to develop techniques and methodologies for automatically analyzing and visualizing large collections of unstructured documents. The project will integrate system and human-generated classification systems and will create a high-performance digital library classification system (i.e., the OOHAY system).
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA)
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- National Library of Medicine (NLM)
- Library of Congress (LOC)
- National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH)
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
University of Arizona Partners:
- Artificial Intelligence Lab
- Department of Management Information Systems
- Health Sciences Library
- Arizona Cancer Center
- Science and Engineering Library
Participating Institutions and Agencies:
- National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)
- American Geological Institute (GeoRef Abstracts)
- University of Tulsa (Petroleum Abstracts)
- National Library of Medicine (UMLS)
Corporate Affiliates/Industrial Partners:
- Silicon Graphics Inc. (SGI)
- Multi-threaded spiders for web page collection
- High-precision web page noun phrasing and entity identification
- Multi-layered, parallel, automatic web page topic directory/hierarchy generation
- Dynamic web search result summarization and visualization
- Adaptive, 3D web-based visualization
|Dr. Hsinchun Chenemail@example.com|
- H. Chen, Y. Chung, M. Ramsey, and C. Yang "A Smart Itsy Bitsy Spider for the Web," Journal of the American Society for Information Science Special Issue on "AI Techniques for Emerging Information Systems Applications," Volume 49, Number 7, Pages 604-618, 1998.
- H. Chen, Y. Chung, M. Ramsey, and C. Yang "An Intelligent Personal Spider (Agent) for Dynamic Internet/Intranet Searching", Decision Support Systems , Volume 23, Pages 41-58, May 1998.
- D. Roussinov and H. Chen "Document Clustering for Electronic Meetings: An Experimental Comparison of Two Techniques" Decision Support Systems , Volume 27, Pages 67-80, November 1999.
- H. Chen "Semantic Research for Digital Libraries" D-Lib Magazine, Volume 5, Number 10/11, October/November 1999.
- H. Chen "Digital Libraries" Journal of the American Society for Information Science Special Issue on Digital Libraries, Volume 51, Number 3, 2000.
- H. Chen, Introduction to the Special Topic Issue: Part 2, Towards Building a Global Digital Library, Journal of the American Society for Information Science, Special Issue on Digital Libraries, Volume 51, Number 4, Pages
- B. Zhu and H. Chen, "Validating a Geographic Image Retrieval System", Journal of the American Society for Information Science, Volume 51, Number 7, Pages 625-634, 2000.
- C. Lin, H. Chen and J. F. Nunamaker, "Verifying the Proximity Hypothesis for Self-Organizing Maps", Journal of Management Information Systems, Volume 16, Number 3, Pages 57-70, 2000.
- L. Houston, H. Chen, B. R. Schatz, R. R. Sewell, K. M. Tolle, T. E. Doszkocs, S. M. Hubbard, and D. T. Ng, Exploring the Use of Concept Spaces to Improve Medical Information Retrieval. Decision Support Systems, Special Issue on Decision Support for Health Care in a New Information Age, Volume 30, Number 2, Pages 171-186, 2000.
- K. M. Tolle, H. Chen, and H. Chow, Estimating drug/plasma concentration levels by applying neural networks to pharmacokinetic data sets, Decision Support Systems, Special Issue on Decision Support for Health Care in a New Information Age, Volume 30, Number 2, Pages 139-152, 2000.
- G. Leroy, K. M. Tolle, and H. Chen, Customizable and Ontology-Enhanced Medical Information Retrieval Interfaces, Methods of Information in Medicine, 2000, forthcoming.
- C. C. Yang, J. Yen, and H. Chen, Intelligent Internet Searching Engine based on Hybrid Simulated Annealing, Decision Support Systems, 2000, forthcoming.
- D. G. Roussinov and H. Chen, Information Navigation on the Web by Clustering and Summarizing Query Results, Information Processing and Management, 2000, forthcoming.