Below is the list of former PhD students who graduated from the MIS Department with Dr. Chen as their adviser; current affiliations when known are listed in parentheses.
2016 - 2018
- Sagar Samtani, “Developing Proactive Cyber Threat Intelligence from the Online Hacker Community: A Computational Design Science Approach,” 2018.
- Weifeng Li, “Towards Secure and Trustworthy Cyberspace: Social Media Analytics on Hacker Communities,” 2017.
- Victor Benjamin, “Securing Cyberspace: Analyzing Cybercriminal Communities Through Web and Text Mining Perspectives,” 2016.
- Xiao Liu, “Health Data Analytics: Data and Text Mining Approaches for Pharmacovigilance,” 2016.
2011 - 2015
- Shan (Jonathan) Jiang, "Statistical Modeling of Multi-Dimensional Knowledge Diffusion Networks: An ERGM-Based Framework." 2015.
- Yu-Kai Lin, "Health Analytics and Predictive Modeling: Four Essays on Health Informatics," 2015.
- David Zimbra, "Stakeholder and Sentiment Analysis in Web Forums," 2012.
- Yan (Mandy) Dang, "Theory-Informed Design and Evaluation of Web-Based Knowledge Management Systems," 2011.
- Yulei (Gavin) Zhang, "Knowledge Discovery in Social Media: Physical World, Online World, and Virtual World," 2011.
2006 - 2010
- Hsinmin Lu, "Surveillance in the Information Age: Tex Quantification, Anomaly Detection, and Empirical Evaluation," 2010.
- Xin Li, "Graph-based Learning for Information Systems," 2009.
- Ahmed Abbasi, “Categorization, Analysis, and Visualization of Computer-Mediated Communication and Electronic Markets,” 2008.
- Sidd Kaza, “Instance, Evolution, and Predictive Modeling of Social Networks,” 2008.
- Jason Jiexin Li, “Feature Construction, Selection, and Consolidation for Knowledge Discovery,” 2007.
- Rob Schumaker, “Knowledge Acquisition, Delivery and Prediction through Text Mining,” 2007.
- Alan Gang Wang, “Entity Matching for Intelligent Information Integration,” 2006.
- Dan M. McDonald, “Combining Text Structure and Meaning to Support Text Mining,” 2006.
- Jialun Qin, “Facilitating Knowledge Discovery by Mining the Content and Link Structure of the Web,” 2006.
- Yilu Zhou, “Supporting Multilingual Internet Searching and Browsing,” 2006.
2000 - 2005
- Zan Huang, “Graph-based Analysis for E-Commerce Recommendation,” 2005 (Penn State University). International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS) 2005 Best Dissertation Award, December 2005.
- Jennifer Xu, “Mining Static and Dynamic Structural Patterns in Networks for Knowledge Management: A Computational Framework and Case Studies,” 2005 (Bentley College, Boston).
- Byron Marshall, “Concept Mapping in Informal Node-Link Knowledge Representations,” 2005 (Oregon State University).
- Wingyan Chung, “An Automatic Text Mining Framework for Knowledge Discovery on the Web,” 2004 (University of Texas at El Paso; Santa Clara University).
- Thian-Huat Ong, “Language and Domain-Independent Knowledge Maps: A Statistical Phrase Indexing Approach,” 2004 (Cal State University at Sacramento).
- Chienting Lin, “Examining Technology Usability and Acceptance in Digital Government: A Case Study in Law Enforcement,” 2004 (Pace University).
- Gondy Leroy, “Facilitating Knowledge Discovery by Integrating Bottom-up and Top-Down Knowledge Sources: A Text Mining Approach,” 2003 (Claremont Graduate University).
- Michael Chau, “Searching and Mining the Web for Personalized and Specialized Information,” 2003 (Hong Kong University)
- Bin Zhu, “Information Visualization for Knowledge Repositories: Applications and Impacts,” 2002 (Boston University). CHI 2001 Consortium Student.
- Dorbin T. Ng, “A Concept Space Approach to Semantic Exchange,” 2000 (Carnegie Mellon University).
1990 - 1999
- Dmitri Roussinov, “Information Foraging Through Automatic Clustering and Summarization: A Self-organizing Approach,” 1999 (Syracuse University, Arizona State University, University of Strathclyde, Scotland). CHI 1999 Consortium Student.
- Andrea L. Houston, “Information Classification: Usability Studies of Two Automatic Approaches,” 1998 (Louisiana State University).
- Richard E. Orwig, “A Graphical Self-Organizing Approach to Classifying Electronic Meeting Output,” 1995 (Susquehanna University).
- Randy J. Johnson, “A Cognitive Approach to the Representation of Managerial Competitive Intelligence Knowledge,” 1994.